So it’s term 2 and you haven’t used the Library yet

Reading Lounge

What is that ominous building? Y’know, the one which smells like fry-ups in the mornings. Unsure? Well let me tell you…

It’s the Library. Warwick’s very own Library. A beautiful building (well, figuratively) holding so many books, journals and library staff that it might burst. Now don’t be afraid – I know that it seems daunting with its 5 floors, extensions and electronic gateway. But actually once you’ve taken a turn about floors, you’ll come to question why you haven’t all but moved in.

Here are just 5 simple reasons why you should get off your laptop, put on your best scarf and get to the Library immediately:

1. Work space

Did your housemate spill milk and cereal all over the dining room table without clearing it up? Or have they just taken up saxophone as a form of procrastination? Perhaps you can’t afford to put your heating on – are you getting frostbite when you try to write notes for more than 15 minutes at a time?

Worry not; the Library welcomes you into its fully heated, clean-surfaced, saxophone free abode. With 5 floors worth of space in the Library itself, you finally have a place to get on with your work.

2. Resources

I’m not just talking books; the Library has computers, photocopiers, printers, scanners, meeting rooms, Smartboards, plasma screens, presentation spaces, even microfilm. But in addition to all of these physical amenities, the Library website offers e-Resources a plenty. You can also manage your account, search and renew all from your smart phone. You want for nothing.

3. Food

Getting to the important stuff now… Yes, cold food is allowed on floors 1&2 and so far no one has chastised me for crunching on my crisps too loudly. There are two cafés on hand, ready to restock your caffeine (or flapjack -whatever your vice) levels. But for me, there is nothing better than a Library shindig with plenty of friends, tea and cake to help me through dissertation season. 

4. Facilities

Don’t let yourself be mistaken – the Library is more than a single solitary building. Its kingdom encompasses the Postgrad Hub,the Learning Grid in University House the Modern Records Centre, and the BioMed Grid  It even reaches so far as Leamington’s very own Learning Grid.  So wherever you are, whoever you are and whatever you need, the library is there for you.

5. Film

My personal favourite. Did you know that the Library has a rather extensive film collection ranging from Gladiator to The Shawshank Redemption? And did I mention that they’re free to borrow? No wonder Blockbusters went into administration. Just nip into the short loan section on the 1st floor and 3rd floor extension for a browse (or check Encore).  

So there you have it. Do not deny yourself any longer. Get to the Library! By term 3 you and the Library should be BFFs, borrowing each other’s clothes and finishing each other’s sentences. Or at the least you’ll be able to trade war stories with your course mates: What’s the longest you’ve spent in the library? The most you’ve spent on coffee and millionaire shortbread? Your most ridiculous form of procrastination?

Like this? Tweet this!

#studyblog

2 Comments Post a comment
  1. Derrick #

I spent a ridiculous amount of time in the library writing my dissertation! I could live there quite happily – the resources are excellent.
    Procrastination mainly took the form of chair-jousting and ordering pizza to the learning grid at 3am.

March 7, 2014
    • I hope you wore your helmet! (Health and safety and all…)

March 10, 2014